mrsetup and the rest of the toys

Mario Scholz mario at expires-1001.mail.trial-n-error.net
Wed Nov 25 11:25:37 CET 2009

Hi Martin!

thanks for your reply!

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:59:04 +0100, martin f krafft <madduck at madduck.net>
wrote:
>> Now i thought that there is only a single .mrconfig. This
>> one is checked out by mrsetup in an earlier phase. The
>> global .mrconfig file includes all modules which are put in
>> ~/.mr/?  (symlinked from ~/roles)
>
> Look at the script: the idea is that I store .mrconfig for each
> machine/account separately, just in case I want to make local
> changes. mrsetup checks in an auto-generated .mrconfig file in case
> there isn't one for this account yet.

Ok. I understand the script. Thinking it at least. So it ends up in the
2nd stage by taking .mr/templ/.mrconfig as default for .mrconfig.

The template mrconfig includes everything by running find over all
'roles/*'
and sourcing 'base'.

This means as a default on a new machine you take everything?
I did not expected this.

For an account with less modules you modify your account specific
.mrconfig.
So symlinks are not used. Right?

I would skip the 2-times .mrconfig bootstrapping. But this is my personal
taste.
Thinking currently if it makes sense for me having .mrconfig account
specific
or doing it like in Joey's .mrconfig.complex with matching the hostname.
Then the repository configuration for all hosts is in one place as for me
its
a "single" home directory with host-specific variations. Not sure right
now.

Best regards,
/Mario