mrsetup and the rest of the toys

Mario Scholz mario at expires-1001.mail.trial-n-error.net
Tue Nov 24 21:37:35 CET 2009

Dear vcs-home list,
Dear Martin,

right now i'm trying to find a solution to sync my home
directory on different machines. Martin, Joey and others
made a perfect job in defining/describing a solution with
Joey's tool MR.

As a starting point i used Martin's post in which he
describes a possible setup:
http://lists.madduck.net/pipermail/vcs-home/2008-July/000147.html

Anyhow i don't get the idea with the described account specific
configuration. There are two chapters in his former post
which give me the headage:

> > 2. thus what exactly is destined to be kept under
> > account/host specific
> > configuration under ~/git/accounts/* ? for instance if I
> > need ACCOUNT
> > specific change in .ssh/config (which is a
> > git_fake_bare_checkout), I
> > guess I shouldn't add .ssh/config to ~/.git, right?
>
> I am not sure about ~/git/accounts yet. Right now, I only
> store
> ~/.mrsetup in there, but I can also put account-specific
> stuff there.

What is ~/.mrsetup. Is .mrconfig meant here?

Why is it so. Martin also wrote before:

> mr is Joey Hess' multiple repository tool and I configure it
> like
> this:
> http://git.madduck.net/v/etc/mr.git?a=tree;f=.mr;hb=HEAD. On
> each machine I symlink those collections in ./roles to ~/.mr
> (which
> is what you see at the link). ~/.mrconfig then simply
> includes them
> and mr manages all my repos, including those under ~/.fgits

Now i thought that there is only a single .mrconfig. This
one is checked out by mrsetup in an earlier phase. The
global .mrconfig file includes all modules which are put in
~/.mr/?  (symlinked from ~/roles)

So what is in .mrsetup?

> I am not sure about ~/git/accounts yet. Right now, I only
> store
> ~/.mrsetup in there, but I can also put account-specific
> stuff there.

Thanks!

/Mario