One Big Repo

chombee tchomby at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 10 20:59:49 CEST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 01:55:16PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> So, some of the specific problems include:
>
> <snip>
> * Wanting to check large data files into a repo, but not having space
>   to put that repo on some machines.

I think a good idea might be to have a special repo for big files
only. So you would have two general catch-all repos, one for really
big files and one just for small files. Right now I put every file
that doesn't belong somewhere else into one catch-all repo, whether
the file is big or small. But there's no reason why I shouldn't be
able to check out some text files and documents because I committed a
big bunch of PNG images.

> * Having automated commits to some files (of achived mail, for example),
>   and not wanting to see that in your general history, or deal with
>   the merging/up-to-dateness issues it can entail.

Has anyone got this working (automated commit of archived mail)?
Currently I use offlineimap run by cron to sync my mail to a local
directory, then another cron job uses rsync to backup this directory,
just in case something goes wrong with the live copy. It'd be cool to
backup the mail directory by committing to a git repo.