Migrating from svn to git

Chanoch (Ken) Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 17:27:52 CET 2009

I've been keeping my home directory in Subversion for about 5 years now,
and I am now interested in switching over to git. I'll be breaking up a
single massive svn repository into a collection of smaller repositories,
corresponding to subdirectories of the original repository.
I've determined that using git-svn clone, I can clone any subdirectory I
want into its own repository.

I had a couple questions though:

1. Some subdirectories have a quite long revision history. If, in the
future, I find myself checking out onto a low-bandwith computer, or
space-limited computer, or I just don't want the whole revision history
for some reason, I can use "git clone --depth" to get a history horizon
on the git repository. The docs say that if I do this, then I can't push
from (or pull from) the shallow repository. However my tests indicate
otherwise. What's the real restriction? Do I just have to make sure both
branches involved in the push operation have history that goes back to
the point where they diverge, or is something else going on here?

2. A couple of my subdirectory repositories have subdirectories that
should themselves be omitted (or split off into directories of their
own). Is there some way to filter out these subdirectories when doing
the conversion or to filter them out immediately afterward?

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/