Flashbake?

chombee chombee at lavabit.com
Sun Dec 6 00:40:01 CET 2009

This looks promising:

http://github.com/commandline/flashbake

As I understand it the basic idea behind flashbake is this: it's a
python script that controls git, when you run flashbake on a directory
it commits any new files or changes to existing files. The idea is to
have flashbake run every fifteen minutes by cron, automatically
committing changes to all your flashbake directories. So you don't have
to interact with git yourself, flashbake will do it for you in the
background. To avoid committing a change to a file while you're in the
middle of typing a sentence or editing something, flashbake won't commit
files if they were modified in the last five minutes. Nice idea!
Additionally, flashbake plugins can grab information from your system or
the network, such as the current date and weather, and use this ambient
information to generate commit logs.

I'm imagining having cron run flashbake on a number of directories every
fifteen minutes, and additionally having post-commit hooks that push the
git repos to remote bare repos. You would still need to remember to run
git pull manually.

I wouldn't want to use automated commits on all my git repos, but there
are many where I think it would be better. One of the nice things about
Dropbox (getdropbox.com) is that whenever you save a modification to a
file or add a new file, Dropbox just syncs the file without any further
interaction from you. Flashbake looks like it comes very closely to
bringing this advantage to git.