git for versioning

Manish mailtomanish.sharma at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 13:03:12 CEST 2008

  On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:
  > On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:47 PM, martin f krafft wrote:
  >> also sprach Rustom Mody [2008.07.30.0851 +0200]:
  >>> But how do I work on the base and have it push (yeah, that's not
  >>> exactly the word) its changes through the (branches for) Albert, Beth
  >>> and Foo?
  >>
  >> You push them to a central location and they fetch&merge from there,
  >> or they fetch from your repo and merge.
  >
  > merge I can understand.
  > But why push and fetch? Its all on the local machine.

Martin's response assumes that you have Foo, AlbertFoo, BethFoo and
CarolFoo in separate repositories.  So you push changes from repo
containing Foo to some common locations for AFoo, BFoo and CFoo to
pull or let them pull from the repo containing Foo.  But I think you
mean to have all of them in the /same/ repo and still be able to
update ?Foo with changes from file Foo.  I do not think this is
supported by any in-built mechanism, though It may not be impossible
to hack together some custom solution tying together diff, patch
etc. called by post-commit hook.  Ugh.

What is the use case?

-- Manish