mrsetup and the rest of the toys

Yaroslav Halchenko lists at onerussian.com
Thu Jul 24 22:49:13 CEST 2008

I somewhat went with variant 2 ( + per-host if needed branches).
To accomplish it, I've crafted a custom action for mr: git_clone_link
[1], the job of which is to

1. clone a repository

2. if _links directory is present, create symlinks in the home directory
leading to the original files pointed at _links/*. If no _links, then
all files/directories under the root directory of the repository are
symlinked from home

3. verify if there is an account-specific branch, and if there is --
check it out (instead of master).

Example:

[.etc/vim]
checkout = git_clone_link 'ssh://git.onerussian.com/~/git/pub/etc/vim.git' vim

and at the end with the rest of few other configurations which I moved to git
already I have

$> ls -ld .* | grep '\.etc'
  0 drwx------   6 yoh  yoh      47 2008-07-22 16:42 .etc/
  0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 yoh  yoh      17 2008-07-22 15:33 .gnupg -> .etc/gnupg/.gnupg/
  0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 yoh  yoh      11 2008-07-22 16:41 .mr -> .etc/mr/.mr/
  0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 yoh  yoh      17 2008-07-22 16:41 .mrconfig -> .etc/mr/.mrconfig
  0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 yoh  yoh      13 2008-07-22 16:03 .ssh -> .etc/ssh/.ssh/
  0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 yoh  yoh      13 2008-07-22 15:33 .vim -> .etc/vim/.vim/
  0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 yoh  yoh      22 2008-07-22 15:33 .vimrc -> .etc/vim/_links/.vimrc

pros:

 modularity is preserved quite well imho

 flexibility among the hosts is available through branches per each module

 you can easily perform git operations (fetch, status, but not pull) within
each symlinked directory (e.g. ~/.vim) directly. git seems to be good enough to
don't rely on full path but rather to use .. to figure out top directory, thus
it works just fine. pull is somewhat broken in that regard. And sure thing you
can simply operate in full power under ~/.etc/WHATEVER

cons:

 symlinks may be ?? although they seems to be easy to fix if anything goes
wrong (like you remove .ssh), and also it provides visibility of what
files/directories are kept within VCS (whatever has no link to .etc/ is not
under VCS)

(in .vim there is no obvious need for _links/ but I left it as an
example). Public portions of those configurations are available
at [2].

Now, to populate home directory I slightly changed madduck's mrsetup and
now it could be found at [3]

[1] http://git.onerussian.com/?p=code/mr.git;a=blob;f=lib/git-link;h=db05408c41445d9a0824c07c5ef17d442b0f2548;hb=2ae6f6892308c33ee11f1f3f3b37543825519e63
[2] http://git.onerussian.com/
[3] http://git.onerussian.com/?p=etc/mrsetup.git;a=summary