I am using fsvs and just found svnhome in google...

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Thu Aug 28 01:19:56 CEST 2008

* Juliano F. Ravasi <ml at juliano.info> [2008-08-27 04:05]:
> Not only Git, I tested Mercurial too, and it also failed in
> similar ways.
>
> 1. Both don't see directories. Just because a directory is
> empty doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. If I delete all files
> in a directory, it doesn't mean that that directory ceased to
> exist. Some programs don't expect this. For example, file all
> messages from your Inbox, and commit. Then you pull from the
> other machine, and your Inbox directory just disappears.

You can work around this right now by putting an empty .gitignore
in the directories that you don’t want to lose.

That said, git’s model (I don’t know about hg’s) is not
fundamentally incapable of mapping empty directories. The code
has just not been written that way, and so far, none of the
people who might have wanted empty directories to be preserved
has actually taken the time to patch git to do it, so it remains
an open issue, to be addressed whenever someone needs it badly
enough that they do the work.

At least, that was the state of play on the git mailing list last
I checked. Admittedly that was a while ago, so I have no idea if
they have changed their minds on any of it.

Regards,