Storing big files in a VCS repository

Andreas Niederl rico32 at gmx.net
Wed Jan 24 02:44:52 CET 2007

Hi,

Joerg Lange wrote:
> Hi vcs-home,
>
> what do you do when you want to store "big" files, like MP3 or even Video
> Files in a VCS? When using subversion, it would duplicate the space demand
> in the Working Directory, so a video of 600 MB would suddenly occupy 1.2
> GB.
>
> Are there any ways to get around this? Not using subversion as far as I
> know.

I don't know about version control systems suited for large binary files
but I've recently read a message[1] on the Mercurial mailinglist which
describes an approach for this.

You would have to implement it yourself though.

Regards,
Andi

[1] http://www.selenic.com/pipermail/mercurial/2007-January/012092.html