newbie question

Vim Visual vim.unix at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 4 10:00:37 CET 2006

Hi Adam,

thanks a lot! You're really helpful! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Before I start to play and move/delete my home (which really scares me
a lot) I have four final questions

1- Where do you have your repository? From your text I think you have
only one main repository and then make "working copies" from it. The
most logical thing would be to have the repository also in your
laptop, right? And from there check out working copies = clons of your
home to everywhere

2- If it's so, and you want a clon copy of your home on a PC in China,
then the PC in China must be able to connect to your laptop, and this
is something I don't know how to do

3- Therefore I guess the best solution would be to have the main
repository somewhere in the web but then the privacy issue arises. Can
you protect/encrypt the main repository somehow, so that not even
admin can have a look inside? Maybe a possibility would be mcrypt? But
this would requiere to encrypt/decrypt each time, before checking out,
which requieres a lot of time

4- This implies that you work with svn add, svn delete, svn move, svn
copy etc etc... Are you working with aliases for those commands (alias
cp = 'svn copy')?? so that you never forget telling svn what has been
changed? Why cannot svn figure out automagically what has been added/
removed etc? Is there a way to do that? Is it dangerous not to do it?
Can you just ignore svn complaining about it?

Sorry about that but I would like to understand what I am about to do
before I do it :)

But "as a reward" I promise to write a detailed web site with
everything I have learnt and a how-to for dummies (like me) to live in
svn!

Cheers,

Pau