storing binary blobs, or otherwise synching them

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 18:55:57 CEST 2006

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 09:27:03AM -0700, Martin Fick wrote:
> --- martin f krafft <madduck at madduck.net> wrote:
>
> > I am now confronted with directories like the papers
> > I refer to in
> > my thesis. I regard these as data related to the
> > PhD, but the
> > directory is also almost 100Mb in size by now, and
> > as they are not
> > expected to ever change, I am somewhat reluctant to
> > hand them over
> > to SVN.
> [...]
>
> I have a special svn repository for stuff that I'd
> like backed up currently, but do not anticipate
> actually having to have any history for.  This
> repository is called 'volatile'. :)  I use this for my
> inbox and various other junk files (many dot files).
> The idea is that at some point I could just make a new
> volatile repository and delete the old one if it gets
> too big.  This allows me to keep one backup strategy
> for everything, svn, but I have things split into
> various bins (reposistories) depending on the use, and
> I make heavy use of subversion externals.
>
> Ideally if subversion ever allows it, a truncated
> feature would be nice for something like my volatile
> repository.  If I could just say truncate history up
> to 3 months ago, that would be cool!

You can accomplish this with
$ svnadmin dump -r LOWER
then create a new repository
$ svnadmin load

(svnadmin dump will give you a complete first revision unless you use
the --incremental switch)

Although an svnadmin truncate option would be quite cool, because I
think this will cause all of the revision numbers to change and
working directories will probably break as a result.

--Ken Bloom

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/