Permissions and links tool (was Re: Hi - List Status?)

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 06:35:09 CEST 2006

On Thursday 27 July 2006 23:32, Martin Fick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the status of this list, there are no messages
> in the archives?
>
> I have been using svn to backup most of the stuff in
> my home directory for over a year now.  I also use it
> to store my digital photos.  I think Joey's article
> inspired me originally to do this.  I had thought
> about it with CVS, but it was just not very good at
> it.  Once I started using svn at work and was
> comfortable with it, it seemed right.
>
> Currently I have built and use:
> -a script to "adjust" a working dir so that it is
> ready to be checked in "as is" to subversion.
>
> Since I have also used svn for my /etc dirs, I have
> found one tool majorly lacking, a permissions tool, I
> will probably work on something like that soon, I have
> some similar script that could probably be easily
> modified to fit this need.  Has anyone else done this
> already?
>
> -Martin

I've attached a simple permissions and symlinks tool that I've just
whipped up. It should replace Joey's svnfix system for the most common
tasks. It's barely been tested, so it may have bugs in it.

It doesn't use svn properties (which I suggested in another message) as
I don't know how to use the ruby svn bindings, and it's probably too
slow anyway to check all of the properties on every file. Here are
dumps of the configuration files it reads. The actual script is
attached.

$ cat .svnperm
.fetchmailrc 0600
.mailfilter 0600
.ssh/authorized_keys 0600
.ssh/id_dsa 0600
.ssh/id_rsa 0600
$ cat .svnlinks
.hide/.ssh .ssh
.hide/.fetchmailrc .fetchmailrc
.hide/.gnupg .gnupg
.hide/.jpilot .jpilot
.hide/.mozilla-thunderbird .mozilla-thunderbird
.hide/.pork .pork
.hide/.muttrc .muttrc
.hide/.ddclient .ddclient
.gnome-pieces/.gnome .gnome