How do you use mr with git-annex?

Adam Spiers vcs-home at adamspiers.org
Sat May 12 18:24:07 CEST 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Thomas Koch <thomas at koch.ro> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was astonished that there isn't any documentation or best practice recipe
> yet on how to manage git-annex repositories with mr. So before figuring it out
> myself I thought I'd ask here.
>
> How do you use mr with git-annex?

Well, they're mostly orthogonal so the simplistic answer is "just use
them" :-) In other words, define the git repository in your mr config,
then use mr when you need mr actions, and git-annex when you need
git-annex functionality.

However, so as to make this answer a little more helpful, I have
documented my personal mr config:

    https://github.com/aspiers/mr-config#readme

In particular, I use mr to automatically configure multiple remotes
(peers) for each git repository, several of which are actually
git-annex repositories.  See for example:

    https://github.com/aspiers/mr-config/blob/master/sh.d/git-remotes
    https://github.com/aspiers/mr-config/blob/master/sh.d/my-git-remotes

I use this in conjunction with git's URL rewriting feature

    https://github.com/aspiers/git-config/blob/master/bin/git-url-rewrite

so that I can easily switch the transport method used to access any
given remote.

HTH,
Adam