git for versioning

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jul 30 15:09:02 CEST 2008

"Rustom Mody" <rustompmody at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 5:19 PM, martin f krafft wrote:
> > also sprach Rustom Mody:
> >> If I want to work on changes in the common part, I check out (a tag
> >> for) the point before the branch (as a detached head??)
> >> Work on that and then what?? Thats my question.
> >
> > Don't you have a common branch, like master? You can't work with
> > detached heads, so you'd need to make a new branch there.
[…]

> Thanks. I'll try this
> Im totally new with git so far :-)

If you're looking for a fully distributed VCS that does centralised
checkout workflow very well, look at Bazaar
<URL:http://bazaar-vcs.org/>.

They have a specific tutorial showing how the (entirely optional)
centralised workflow operates
<URL:http://bazaar-vcs.org/Tutorials/CentralizedWorkflow>.

I can recommend it highly for working with people on a project that
doesn't need "distributed" as much as it needs "better than
Subversion"; yet you still get all the benefits of a distributed VCS
:-)

--
 \      “The best mind-altering drug is truth.” —Jane Wagner, via Lily |
  `\                                                            Tomlin |